Who we are
Clarity Genomics Inc. is a 2016 spin-off company from the Knight Lab at UC San Diego. Our mission is to provide biological insights for host-microbiome data and facilitate biomarker discovery and patient stratification.
In early 2017, Clarity Genomics expanded to Belgium, Europe and has partnered with JLINX, the Johnson & Johnson Innovation incubator model designed to identify and nurture early-stage companies who are actively pursuing research with the potential to transform human health.
Research and development is led by Evguenia Kopylova. Evguenia is co-developer of various high-throughput sequencing analysis tools including SortMeRNA, QIIME and deblur. Our academic collaborators include,
- Rob Knight, a world-renowned microbiome researcher and pioneer, Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and Department of Computer Science, and Faculty Director at the Center for Microbiome Innovation at UC San Diego;
- Pieter C. Dorrestein, an expert in the development and application of mass spectrometry approaches for the analysis of microbial metabolic exchange, Professor in the Departments of Pharmacology and Chemistry at the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Faculty Director of the Collaborative Center for Mass Spectrometry Innovation at UC San Diego;
- Alexey Melnik, developer of mass spectrometry tools for the discovery of novel drug leads. Alexey has a strong background in analytical chemistry with an emphasis on mass spectrometry. In 2013 he joined Prof. Pieter C. Dorrestein's lab at the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, UCSD, to locate potential therapeutics within complex microbial communities using modern mass spectrometry methods and advanced computational approaches;
- Nicola Segata, an expert in computational biology with training in machine learning, high-throughput sequencing analysis, and microbiome research. Nicola completed his postdoctoral experience in Curtis Huttenhower Lab at Harvard and currently leads the Laboratory of Computational Metagenomics at University of Trento, Italy;
- Rayan Chikhi, an expert in genome assembly and bioinformatics methods, with a focus on big data computation and optimization techniques. Rayan holds a PhD in computer science from ENS Rennes, did a postdoc in Medvedev Lab at Penn State and is currently a CNRS junior researcher at University of Lille, France.
Clarity Genomics management is affiliated with the Rady School of Management and Harvard Business School.